…”the answer to every question was ultimately the same answer. It is the answer that each of us has to come to for ourselves, the answer that each one of us needs to discover through our own process of self-inquiry. That answer is simply, “I am.” What is surrender? “I am surrender.” Surrender isn’t something I do, surrender isn’t an act that I perform. Surrender is an expression of my own truest being. No matter what question, I found that by the very end of it, I got to the same place- not to answer in the mind, but to a living sense that it all ended in “I am.” Adyashanti
With dancers: Mary Cutrera, Briana Jones, Lin Lucas, Alan Sutherland
Thursday Sept 20th 6:00 pm
Friday & Saturday Sept 21st & 22nd at 7:30 pm
Sunday Sept 23rd 5:00 pm
This dance takes a penetrating look at mental illness in contemporary society. Higher Ground the dance explores the struggle to maintain control in the face of madness, and the humanness and vulnerability of a soul coming to grips with their own unraveling. The inspiration for the work comes from the documentary “The Library of Dust” based on photographer David Masiel’s photos of the Oregon State Mental Hospital. Masiel’s photos document the decay of the hospital and the 3500 copper canisters which hold the remains of residents of the mental hospital who were unwanted in life and in death. The dance honors the journey for wholeness, and explores the interior life of our most vulnerable, and the resilience of our human spirit, and the courage to go on in the face of adversity.
“The body is a sacred garment.
• There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost.
• The body says what words cannot.
• The body is your instrument in dance, but your art is outside that creature, the body.
• Our arms start from the back because they were once wings.
• No artist is ahead of his time. He is his time. It is just that the others are behind the time.
• Dance is the hidden language of the soul.
• Dancing is just discovery, discovery, discovery.”