Thorsen’s“Higher Ground” takes a penetrating look at mental illness in contemporary society. This work is a butoh performance for 5 dancers. the dance explores the struggle to maintain control in the face of madness, and the humanness and vulnerability of a soul coming to grips with their own unraveling. The inspiration for the work comes from the documentary “The Library of Dust” based on photographer David Masiel’s photos of the Oregon State Mental Hospital. Masiel’s photos document the decay of the hospital and the 3500 copper canisters which hold the remains of residents of the mental hospital who were unwanted in life and in death. The dance honors the journey for wholeness, and explores the interior life of our most vulnerable, the people on our streets, the resilience of our human spirit, and the courage to go on in the face of adversity.
Heart’s mirror clear reflects beyond fetter.
The void stripped clean, innumerable worlds.
All things in their majesty, shadowed and seen there.
The single gleaming jewel: not witin, not without.
Hsuan Chueh (665-713)
“In the process of creating an indigenous form of modern dance, Japanese butoh founders discovered a universal poetry of the body. Rather than transcending the human condition, butoh asks us to descend into it- down into the turbulence, awkwardness and uncertainty of life- and from there, deep in the thick of things, we discover our own healing and capacity to love unconditionally.” Lani Weissbach
I have early bird tickets for $15. email, text or call me.
burst from your ubtouched
womb like a flower
on the farther side
of death. The world-tree
is blossoming. Two
realms become one.
Hildegard of Bingen
We would have spent sharing it
You have made a capsule
You have wed yourself
I try to pack
My nest of thought
into your capsule
we find no room
One step back
and the night licks it’s
sealed eye like a lover
Yet instead of pleasure
It is a stance
More solid than
stone of white marble
the rim of night
“The body is a sacred garment.
• There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost.
• The body says what words cannot.
• The body is your instrument in dance, but your art is outside that creature, the body.
• Our arms start from the back because they were once wings.
• No artist is ahead of his time. He is his time. It is just that the others are behind the time.
• Dance is the hidden language of the soul.
• Dancing is just discovery, discovery, discovery.”